Whereismal?

28 November 2006

The Combo weekend

Just a quick post tonight before bedtime. I'm out school night drinking round some student bars tomorrow and I have a works do on Thursday. Then Olaf is here and by the sounds of the emails floating around I'm not going to get much of a chance to add anything here about last weekend until I've recovered well into next week!

So last weekend I tried to make sure I saw a bit of sunlight and sporting activity unlike the previous weekend. I think I did a good job and it went a little something like this:

I never thought I'd ever say this but Friday night I was in the gym - OK so not quite true, I went to the gym in the evening and still found myself heading into town for a quiet couple of beers with Mickael and the Disco Twins. I even made it yet again to Winstons but was a good boy and only stayed for one before heading home at 2am.

Saturday, up at 9am to meet Jonathan for another session at SnowPlanet on the snowboards and what a cracking session it was. It still amazes me that I am always progressing and learning something new everything I go to one of the indoor slopes here. As those who have snowboarded with me before I have this bad habit of landing all my backside 180 jumps and immediately switching back to regular. I am not very good at riding them out switch but not any more. I concentrated on taking off into a backside 180 on the first lip at the slope, landing switch and holding that edge all the way to the bottom, making a few switch turns on the way. By the end of the session I was backside 180'ing off the top lip, riding switch for a few turns, frontside 180'ing off the second lip back to regular and then riding the rail at the bottom 50/50 - I was stoked the first time I nailed that - especially the rail as that scared me being a little longer and narrower than I am normally comfortable with.

But enough snowboard waffle, I came home and was on such a high that I went out and pulled a few wheelies on my bike to celebrate. I am such a kid! I went to find what I was told was a skate bowl but in the end it was only a halfpipe and a fairly leafy one at that so I just enjoyed a bit of people watching the mad shoppers of Amsterdam.

Saturday night Pia gathered a few friends and together with Shauny and Rafa, celebrated their birthdays in a cool bar in the city. A number of us not content with ending the night at 1am hit the town and painted it pink not red! Mum you best not tell Dad and don't worry I'm not going to be batting for the other side, but we ended up in a gay nightclub called Exit. Quite the entertaining eye opener, but show me anywhere happy to sell me another pint and I'll happily prop the bar up. To be honest Kerry joined us with her mate and those two got way more hassle from guys than any of us straight guys did - was a laugh! I left about 4 ish with Sophie after Mickael who left 20 mins before us. I was home before him as he was walking and I was on the bike. Some photos from the night are below:




Still determined to make the most of the daylight I was up and out by midday on what was a glorious sunny day. I went back to Scheveningen and met with Jorn and a couple of his friends to go kayak surfing. The surf was poor, a lot worse than what was predicted on magic seaweed but in great Dutch spirit we still had a good laugh paddling off our hangovers. There were a couple of sets that came in the were big enough to launch into a couple of blunts and back stabs. So since I had not been boating since the DWD opening weekend, I really enjoyed it. They also invited me to a pool session that they go to in Haarlem every Sunday evening but I declined in favour of some well earned sofa time :-) Fish and chips on the beach front afterwards was cracking tho.

So I think I made a good combo weekend of partying and having fun in the daylight this weekend. I very much doubt with Olaf I'll see much daylight this weekend but looking forward to it all the same.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home