Whereismal?

11 July 2007

Happy Birthday Emma

Although Emma's birthday is not till 13th July, we planned a week long celebration starting last weekend. Emma flew over on Thursday night with Kate and boyfriend Dale.

A simple Dutch meal out on Thursday inside an impressive old water pumping station kicked off the celebrations followed by a short sight seeing trip during the day on Friday. I returned from work and we headed over to the Heineken Music Hall to see The Chemical Brothers. After the initial rage of having to queue for beer tokens and then queue again for the actual beer we were double pinted and ready for the block rockin beats.

I've seen the Chemical Brothers 4 or 5 times before and love them but this time they blew me away. They had a new screen that was really fast, much faster than any projection screen I've seen before. Then thinking it could not get any better, more lights were shone and strobed though the huge screen - it was see-through! I'm stoked Emma, Kate and Dale managed to get to see this set and they were certainly impressed. I've scoured the internet for the best video footage and the BBC got some good footage of Glastonbury - I'd love to have been there. But this person has the best footage of the Amsterdam set - including the following clip that shows it really going off:



After such a incredible performace, I had to apologise that we were not going to find any night out in Amsterdam to follow! But off we hopped and skipped via the Metro to the usual Winstons to throw the remaining shapes our energy levels could provide.

A lie in was need but the celebrations continued with an earlyish rise, breakfast Mathie style and a car trip to Walibi World - a nearby Six Flags theme park. The same one I went to with Charlie when he was here. Giggles were had all day long and this photo will make us all laugh forever:

Saturday night was nosh at Bar 11 on the 11th floor of the old post office building overlooking Amsterdam. Great food, cracking venue and it was just a shame none of us had the energy to rave on all night to the DJ's and VJ'd specially on board for a "Sunrise" edition - yes open till the sun comes up.

Sunday was going to be an easy one with talk of a skate or bike around the local park. But with the weather looking sketchy we headed off to get properly wet instead. I took them to where I went wakeboarding previously. The girls donned waterskis whilst Dale and I strapped into wakeboards. After some agonising swims, everyone was making it up to the first corner and Emma even made it to the second corner before wiping out superman style!

There was not even enough time for a quick beer in the sun, before sending Kate and Dale back to Schipol for their flight home. I did not take any pictures but Kate managed a few snaps that you can see here.

In order to keep up the celebrations we could only muster enough energy to watch Hot Fuzz on Monday night and have a nice Moroccan meal out on Tuesday. Then after managing to keep it a secret all week, I surprised Emma with tickets to go see Daft Punk back at the Heineken Music Hall on Wednesday. Emma had suspicions that I had tickets for the Scissor Sisters who were also performing here in Amsterdam on the same night supported by Groove Armada - so it was a total surprise.

The last time we caught Daft Punk was the best gig I have ever been too. Not so sure about Emma though cos she can't remember much cos she was a little tipsy! Maybe it was the long day drinking in the sun, maybe it was the thrill of being in a foreign country with Emma and Jimbob - who knows? But last year at Eurockeennes in front of a home crowd they were incredible.

They had their famous tube lighting and projection pyramid last time so their setup was no surpirse. That was until the pyramid began to play moving images like a TV - awesome! Pretty sure it didn't do that last time?

However, they improved their set with an amazing encore. It includes "Together" that I've never heard before and samples from their production of the "Music Sounds Better With You" track by Stardust. Add in a dash of "One More Time" and it was blinding. Then they go and light up their Robot suits, pure brilliant. As much as I normally want to slap people that record video at live shows, credit due to the recorder of the following clip:

Emma flew back home on Thursday morning and I'm glad she only has 1 birthday each year cos I'm knackered! So if you get to see her, wish her a happy birthday from me on Friday :-)

So I would cut off my right arm to see the Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk play together on the same stage. With the Chemicals lighting setup and see-through screen at the rear, DP's pyramid and tube lighting at the front then topped off with some lasers - I'd be a dribbling wreck by the end of it. In fact I am going to check my lottery ticket now - anyone want an invite?

2 Comments:

  • Dude - that video of the chems really shows how rocking it was there. TBH I reckon that it would be better in a "small" indoor club like that as you really get the atmosphere (not to say that glasto wasn't amazing - just perhaps too many people....)

    I reckon I'm going to try and get tickets for brixton academy and let you know what they were like there!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/7/07 08:15  

  • Cool - I'd be interested to hear your difference in opinion. But I'd be quick, Friday has already sold out even before they go on gernal release on Monday!

    http://www.seetickets.com/gat/event.asp?e|showname=the%20chemical%20brothers&e|promoter=372&filler1=gigsandtours&filler2=thechemicalbrothers

    By Blogger Malcolm, at 11/7/07 08:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home